Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Better Life for My Kids



My last two blogs have been about the idea that working in the trades is a "second place" type of job; they are for people who couldn't get a college degree or find a "better" job.  This mindset manifests itself in a different way, too; a way that I often hear tradespeople talking that betrays this defeatist mindset.  It goes something like this, "I want my kid to go to college so that s/he can get a better job than I have."
Everyone wants their kids to have a better life than their own, we wouldn't be normal parents if we didn't.  But what does that say about the way we approach our occupation?  And why does that always mean going to college?  Certainly some occupations require college-level instruction - but most can be accomplished through apprenticeships.

My last blog ended by stating that apprenticeships opportunities are all but gone.  Studying under a skilled professional with years of experience is sadly becoming an historic practice.  Arguably one of the best ways to learn is by doing - especially under the tutelage of a master of that trade.
I see another angle to this conversation that is usually overlooked; and that is the self-indictment of the statement of "better life."  As someone who both works in the construction trades and owns my own business, shouldn't I think that what I do is a good way of life?  Otherwise, what am I doing in it?  Who wants a miserable contractor who thinks his work is unimportant working on their home?  Shouldn't I be working to perfect my skills and make my work such a precious commodity that there is a constant want, even need, for them?  And as such I can think  of nothing more valuable for my children than to teach them those quality skills, and build a successful, profitable business to train them in and pass on to them.  And even if they choose not to take over that particular business  I can think of nothing more beneficial to their future success than to exemplify a passion for my work and the success that comes through serving others well.

photo credit: Neil. Moralee via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment