Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'd do it myself, but...

One of the things that I frequently hear from potential clients when we walk through a project is: "I'd do this myself, but I just don't have the time."  Sometimes they'd go a step further and add, "I used to be a painter when I was in college."
Perhaps it is the male ego, or perhaps it is simply a way to fill the silence - I don't know.  But I often wonder why potential clients feel the need to make such justifications for having a professional out to look at a project.  I've never had a client say that to me when we are walking through a second or third project.  There's something about that initial consultation that seems to necessitate a justification from the potential client as to why they are considering enlisting the services of a professional.
Sometimes it can come across as demeaning, as if to say, "my time is more valuable than yours - therefore you do the drywalling."  Other times, it seems to portray a lack of knowledge as to just what is all involved in a "little bathroom project."  It could more rightly be said, "I'd do it myself, but I have no idea what I'm doing."
The vindication of it all comes when, at the end of the project, the client is left impressed with the level of quality and professionalism, and says, "you do really great work, I'm glad I hired you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment